Skip to main content

City Initiatives on the August 6th Ballot

The Development Services division within the Community Development Department is divided into two functions: Planning and Zoning and Engineering Services.

Planning and Zoning

Planning and Zoning staff administers the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) which incorporates zoning and subdivision regulations for land development. This ensures quality developments that preserve the uniqueness of the community.  

Staff process zoning and development applications for recommendations to Planning Commission and Board of Adjustment. Staff also investigates violations and complaints, legal non-conforming uses, process special use permits and variances. 

City Hall main entry on the 2nd level with fall leaves along the curb and reflection of parked cars in the window.

Staff is also responsible for guiding the City's long-range planning efforts and the implementation of the City's Comprehensive Plan for future growth of new developments and re-developments. 

Engineering Services

Engineering staff are responsible for plan and subdivision review, development agreements, permitting, and construction inspection of the engineering components of private development projects. Components include streets, stormwater management, streetlights, grading, erosion control, traffic, water quality, sanitary sewers, and other civil engineering issues. 

Engineering staff is committed to providing quality customer service by effectively facilitating the development process while protecting the health, safety, and public welfare of the community. 

Mapping & Addressing

Planning staff prepares various mapping functions, including updating subdivision plats, coordinating information with the Jackson County GIS Department, helping maintain the addressing standards within the City of Independence, and preparing maps reflecting census and other sources of data. Please visit the City's map page for a menu of maps.


The Development Services division is located in on the second floor of Independence City Hall, 111 E Maple, Independence, MO 64050. City Hall is open Monday-Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.  You can also contact Planning and Zoning Staff by e-mailing

City Code Established Use Maximums